The P&C Band Sub-Committee has the large, but very satisfying, task of overseeing the running of the LEPS Band program. The various LEPS Bands have been enormously successful over the years, and provide a wonderful opportunity for students to develop musical ability, responsibility and a sense of teamwork.
Further Information is available in The Band Information Book
Children are able to apply for the Training Band in year 3. There are currently four bands in the LEPS Band Programme:
- Training Band – beginners (no musical experience necessary)
- Concert Band – intermediate.
- Performance Band – senior. Entry to Performance Band is by audition
Application open on Term 4 each year to recruit new members for the following year.
- Any child from Year 3 and up is eligible to join. Joining Band is for 1 year.
- No previous experience playing an instrument is required.
- No musical experience is required.
- Instruments will be allocated to each child, depending upon personal preference in consultation with Band Director and the child’s suitability for the instrument.
- All instruments are available to hire.
- All Band members need to attend 2 rehearsals each week
- All Band members are required to have weekly tuition throughout the year.
Should you have further queries, please feel free to contact Elise Lee at email@example.com or 0416 088 806.
The band program is run solely by a dedicated group of volunteer parents with the assistance of the school liaison teacher, Ms Diane Read (Deputy Principal), the Band Director, Mr Colin Smith.
The Band Committee is a sub-committee of the LEPS P&C and generally meets one to twice time each Term on Thursday evenings in the staffroom. Meeting dates are advertised well in advance in the Band News. All Band parents/carers are welcome to attend.
To make the Band work for your child/children please consider assisting in some way during the year, either by joining the committee or volunteering to help with the organisation of various Band events. There are many opportunities to suit busy parents’ schedules, whether during school hours or after-hours and on weekends (for workshops, Band camp, concerts, festivals, etc.). Your child will be delighted and you will enjoy the chance to meet other band parents and see the Bands in operation.